Monday, June 7, 2010

Grilled Pizza

Courtesy of: Jesse Lindstrom



The dough
We prefer to use whole wheat dough on the grill. (Though white works well too) I use a recipe from Martha Stewart Everyday Food that I found on Natalie's recipe blog that she keeps with her friend. I've noticed that the dough is so much more lovely after it has been frozen and thawed. My recommendation is to make it a couple of days ahead (it will keep in the freezer up to 3 months), so that the yeast can go through the freeze/thaw/rise routine. I'll usually make up a double batch, let it rise, divide it up and then stick it in the freezer. Then I have dough ready for a few pizza nights.

The sauce
Walmart's Best Value brand Thick and Zesty Spaghetti Sauce. It is made from a seasoning packet found on their isle of gravy/sauce mixes. I make it according to directions, omitting only the oil. (If I have spinach in my crisper, I'll shred it up and throw it in for good measure. Shhh.)

The process
  • Light up the grill on medium heat.
  • Thaw/prepare dough and roll into circles.
  • Take the crusts to the grill and put them down on direct heat.


  • Let them cook for 2-3 minutes.
  • Then bring them in, grilled side up, and sauce and top. The bottom of the crust will still be raw.


  • Return them to the grill, this time on indirect heat.
  • Close it up and let them cook for 7-10 minutes.


The crust will get crisp. So will the exposed pepperoni- my favorite part. The pizza will taste different from anything made in the oven. Has anyone tried this before? How do you make your pizza?

No comments: